Tuesday, July 29, 2008

“Journey’s End”

Monday, July 28, 2008, 8:00 pm

I’m just home from my first day back at work – blecch. If you can figure out a way to stay on vacation, do it. I’m amazed at how differently my mind operates now that it’s back on the regular routine. I’m trying to write this final entry using the same mindset I had on the trip, but I’m finding it quite difficult.

Our last two days (or in the Sommerfeld’s case, the last three days) were little more than completing the final 1000 miles to get back to Marietta (or in the Sommerfeld’s case, the final 1500 miles to get back to Raleigh).

Lee and Kristen used the bulk of this remaining travel time to catch up on as many Lost episodes as possible. Previously, they had only seen an occasional episode out of sequence, so I brought the first three seasons with us on the trip, and they were pretty much hooked. If you watch it from the beginning, it will have you (season 5, coming in 2009!). I think they made it part way into season 2.

On Friday, Scott took us on a driving tour of New Orleans. We didn’t see the worst of the remaining Katrina damage, but we did tour some of the affected areas closer to the Mississippi river. It’s amazing that even after so many years there is still so much to be renovated, repaired, or rebuilt. We also got to see the church where Kathy stayed when she came on her mission trip from Raleigh. The highlight of the tour, though, was Scott driving the RV, barreling down the back streets of the French Quarter, kissing mirrors with the parked cars on both sides of the street at the same time. That was one tight fit. Forest actually crossed the famed Bourbon Street. You can’t drive down it - it’s pedestrian only. But there is one spot where through traffic cuts across Bourbon Street - and we went flying by in Forest. Scott claims he even scared himself a couple times on that run. Kathy’s favorite moment was when we turned left, just behind a couple of boys crossing the street. The younger was probably around 9, and he was in full strut mode - shirtless, sagging, and arms gyrating as he swaggered across. But when he turned and the RV caught his eye, the entire cool façade was lost, and he became 9 again. His eyes got real big and his mouth dropped open, which he covered with one hand while his other pointed up to Kathy in the passenger seat. She just pointed back and laughed.

For our final camping night, we (surprise) got in very late. We passed on two campgrounds (one was the wrong direction after touring New Orleans, the other one smelled a bit too much like.. well.. New Orleans), and we decided to drive another hour into Mississippi before stopping. It was a campground that caught Kathy’s eye in the Woodall’s camping guide – a five star rated campground called Camp Journey’s End. How fitting is that? It was a former KOA and seemed very nice, though we didn’t really get a chance to enjoy it. Its one attraction we did frequent was The Shed, a biker bar BBQ that reminded everyone of the Hog Wild, only with maybe 10 more years hung on it. The Katrina water line was painted on all of its windows, about two thirds of the way to its ceiling. It looked like Katrina dropped all of its trash on The Shed, as the place was covered from head to foot with atmosphere – crates, beers, kegs, tools, rusted equipment, a stuffed horse, a broken down golf cart on the roof, etc. And even as early as 11:00 on a Saturday morning, the place was packed with customers. According to signs there, the place will be featured soon on the Food network. Decent BBQ, but nothing to write home (or a blog) about.

By Saturday night, we were at my home in Marietta. We did make one quick stop at the drug store a mile before we got there, and I ought to share this last bit. Leaving the drug store, I was driving. I guess I had developed a reputation for ‘Atlanta driving’ (although anyone who considers 5 miles below the speed limit ‘Atlanta driving’ hasn’t spent much time in Atlanta…). Anyway, as we began to roll forward out of the parking lot, I hear multiple cries of “Whoa!”, “Eek!”, and “Hold On!” (this last one is properly pronounced “Ho Don”, and is best when repeated three times). I gently brought Forest to a stop and complained - “I only moved it three inches!” I think it was Kristen who quickly replied – “Yeah, but it was a *fast* three inches!”

So it’s done. I know from Scott’s call that they made it back to Raleigh on Sunday. That’s good, but I’m pretty bummed that it’s over. The trip was a dream, a fantastic journey where the sights were spectacular, but the time and the adventures spent together are what we’ll treasure, even the breakdowns. As one of Scott’s t-shirts says, and as the blog hopefully illustrated, “The Journey is the Destination”. I’m only sorry for two things – the financial commitment the Sommerfelds made during the trip, and the many moments I’ve forgotten or failed to include, not the least of which:
- Scott’s running over the Cheetah Chair after stopping for the incredible rainbow on the drive to the North Rim.
- All the great meals cooked on the road (everyone contributed, but Lee gets the biggest credit, I think).
- The hot, claustrophobic foot well and filthy seat pillows in the Japanese restaurant (where we weren’t allowed to wear our ‘dirty’ shoes).
- Mike’s, Jet’s, and Larry 2’s inexhaustible supply of stories, and our wagers as to how many and how far some of them were stretched.
- The fact that we drank in just about every brew pub in operation from Colorado Springs to Austin (including Moab Brewery, the best one and another good reason to include Arches on your itinerary).
- Scott’s further unsuccessful attempts to dislodge the sunblock – to my knowledge it’s still there.
- Our theories for Kate’s purse snatcher.
- …and countless others I’ve already forgotten

Kate may have known what she was getting into when she invited her brother on this trip (probably not), but it’s a rare brother-in-law and teenage nieces who will put up with someone outside their immediate family for such a long time in such tight quarters. During this trip I was able to witness and appreciate, in each of the four Sommerfelds:
- Their selfless, giving nature and sharing camaraderie.
- Their adventurous spirit.
- Their adaptability and uncomplaining acceptance of stress and discomfort.
- Their unashamed expressions of joy.
- Their enthusiasm for laughter.
- Their simple enjoyment of each other’s (and hopefully my) company.
- Their faith and love of God and family.
Everyone was just great on this trip, which more than likely means I was the annoying one. I’ll just have to hope that they were able to overlook my foibles and enjoy everything as much as I. I’m pretty sure that they did. I give my heartfelt thanks to each of them – it was truly a privilege and honor to be included, and I will remember it always.

Thanks also to everyone who took the time to support our trip by caring for our pets, watching our homes, calling us with words of encouragement during the rough patches, or just following along with the blog. Your help and support was and is much appreciated.

Mop (Kate’s and my mother), followed the blog regularly, but she wasn’t able to navigate the registration process in order to successfully post comments. But at one point on the trip she sent me an email saying how proud of us Pop was in heaven, bragging to everyone up there about his kids camping out west together. I absolutely love that image, and I think it’s just spot on.

Love to all,

Luke Hippler
July, 2008

p.s. – Don’t be lookin’ for no postcards. This is it. (Remember Lee and Kristen? “That was it!”)

p.p.s. – Total trip distance, Raleigh to Raleigh, including 220 rental car miles, 250 tow truck miles, 10 Larry 2 junkyard miles, and 10 Hog Wild Hummer miles – just over 6800 miles.

1 comment:

geeky Heather said...

I'm sure you weren't the annoying one...but then, every family needs a crazy uncle. =)